Wednesday 8 December 2010

Rabbit of Fortune


We weren't wandering around Istanbul long before we spotted a roadside fortune rabbit. We were drawn to the sight of a man standing next to a tall platform with a rabbit perched patiently on top. We were used to seeing vendors selling animals on the side of the road in other places we had visited but it seemed a bit odd to be selling a single rabbit displayed on such an extravagant platform. We suspected there was something else going on. We saw a few variations with small bunnies and a rooster accompany the main rabbit but it wasn't until we noticed a small draw with little squares of paper in the cabinet that we started to understand what was going on . The next day I noticed one of the platform drawers was marked "English" and the other "Turkish" as we passed and saw our chance.

The man called his young friend over who was selling socks and he instructed me in English what I was to do.

First I was to give the bunny a pat.
"He is very patient" I commented.
"Also very smart" my instructor added seriously.
The rabbit did appear to be concentrating quite hard at this point.
Then the man opened the drawer and placed the rabbit in front of the small folded squares of paper.
The rabbit looked at them for a while sagely. Then he picked one out nimbly with his teeth and the man handed me my fortune.
My fortune seemed a bit obscure to me.....
 Not so keen on that end part,  but all round well worth the three lira.
We talked to a Turkish girl later about the fortune rabbits and she told us its an old Turkish tradition and features in many Turkish films. Will have to watch some when we get home. Who knows perhaps we could start our own fortune rabbit business if we are stuck for work once we are back in Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment